So we discussed as part of an IELTS MINDSET, we need to think about the GOVERNMENT ROLE in many areas of life.
Here is a recent IELTS exam question:
In various countries, people’s weight is increasing, and their fitness/health is declining.
What are the causes of this.
What measures could be taken to solve them?
Here are some of the causes. Can you add to them?
- eating large amounts of processed or fast food
- drinking too much alcohol
- eating out a lot
- eating larger portions than you need
- drinking too many sugary drinks
- comfort eating
- working from home
- living a more sedentary lifestyle
Now think what the government can do about this!
Think about how you would express your opinion:
It seems/appears to me that ….
I tend to think that …..
I’m inclined to think that …..
I tend to favour the view that ……………
A few ideas:
- introduce a new campaign to provide information for people to take steps to help them move towards a healthier weight.
- expand weight management services to give support to people who need to lose weight
- increase the number of sports/health facilities in local areas
- introduce a label system on food to help people make healthy food choices
- make companies provide calorie labelling on alcohol
- offer discounts to at risk groups for the gym
- legislate to end the promotion of foods high in fat, sugar or salt
- ban the advertising of unhealthy products which are shown on TV and online before 9pm.
In the next lesson, I will show you how to put these ideas together into an answer.